I selected book that were already on my to read list in Goodreads. Several of them will double as ABC Reads picks. And one had already been chosen as my book club's July book. I'm looking forward to the challenge! Here are the selections I made in each category:
• 5 points: Freebie - The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
• 10 points: Read a book that starts with the letter “R” - Red Hook Road by Ayelet Waldman
• 10 points: Read a book with five words in the title - The Unraveling of Mercy Louis by Keija Parssinen
• 15 points: Read a book that has a (mostly) blue cover - We Are Called to Rise by Laura McBride
• 20 points: Read a book with twins as characters - The Silent Twin by Caroline Mitchell
• 20 points: Read a book made into a movie - Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
• 25 points: Read a book set in a country you have always wanted to visit - The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty (set in Australia)
• 30 points: Read a historical fiction book - The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
• 30 points: Read a music related book - Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song by Sara Bareilles
• 35 points: Read a book originally published over 100 years ago - Persuasion by Jane Austen
I'm looking forward to getting started on Friday! Here's hoping I can get them all read within the timeline!!
Here are the rules of the challenge:
• First and foremost, have fun. Don't stress. No one is being judged, graded, or penalized. Even if you finish only one book the entire challenge, if you enjoy it and it's an accomplishment for you, then that's awesome.
• The challenge will run from JULY 1, 2016 to OCTOBER 31, 2016. No books that are started before 12 a.m. on July 1 or finished after 11:59 p.m. on October 31 will count. (We live in different time zones – follow this according to your own time zone.)
• Each book must be at least 200 pages long. Audio books are fine too.
• A book can only be used for one category, and each category can only be completed once. If you want to switch the category of a book, or change the book you originally chose, no worries.
• You can read your books in any order you choose.
• Rereads can be used only once. If a book you love fits into a category, go ahead and visit it again. Read it in its entirety. But, only do this once for the challenge.
• There will be a photo album for each category with links to books chosen. Please comment on the photo for each of your books when you finish reading them. A comment can include a review, a rating, a recommendation…other readers want to hear what you thought of your choice. (if you need help with this, let me know…or there is a file attached to our group explaining what to do.)
• There will be 10 book categories with a possibility of earning 200 points. That’s 10 books in four months. For some of you, this will be a BIG challenge; for others it will be easy peasy. It’s all for fun, remember!
• Book categories will be posted June 1st to give you time to gather books in preparation.
• After the categories are posted, please post a preliminary list with books of your choice according to their categories on the facebook group page by June 15th (if possible). If you need help with a particular category or want a book suggestion, we as a community of reading enthusiasts can help each other. (Late entries will still be accepted.)
• The first three people who finish the challenge will be invited to contribute a category for the next challenge. The top 3 winners will get a small prize from me ((1st to complete 1st round; 2nd to complete 1st round; 1st to complete both rounds)! If the same person wins all categories, then I’ll move to the 2nd finisher, then 3rd, and so on. Plus, everyone who completes the challenge will gets all sorts of recognition and support!
• Lastly, have fun. Don't stress. No one is being judged, graded, or penalized. Even if you finish only one book the entire challenge, if you enjoy it and it's an accomplishment for you, then that's awesome. Wait, I’ve read that somewhere before…Good luck!